Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Kansas City
Representing Injured Bicyclists
Bicycles and motor vehicles have the same right to the road, but it’s the cyclist who pays the price if an inattentive driver fails to see the bike until it’s too late. All too often the result is a life-threatening injury, permanent disability, or death.
If your loved one was hit by a car while riding a bicycle, the law firm of Dempsey & Kingsland, P.C. works to maximize compensation for their substantial injuries and associated needs. Our Kansas City bicycle accident attorneys take serious bike injury cases throughout Missouri and Kansas.
We extend a free consultation and urge you to contact us immediately so that we can preserve evidence and witness statements critical to your case. Call now at (816) 484-3776.
Bicycle Accidents by the Numbers
Devastating collisions involving bicyclists happen far more often than many people realize. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety:
- 857 bicyclists were killed in roadway collisions in 2018 alone. This is a 7% increase from 800 in 2017.
- Bicycle accident deaths have risen by nearly 40% since 2010.
- Deaths among cyclists age 20 and younger have declined by nearly 90% since 1975, while deaths among cyclists age 20 and older have nearly tripled in this time.
- More than half of fatal bicycle accidents (63%) happen at non-intersections.
- Bicyclist deaths occur most frequently between the hours of 6 pm to 9 pm.
Why Do Bicycle Accidents Happen?
Motorists will often claim that the cyclist was doing something wrong, such as crossing the street without the right of way or riding into traffic. We counter this blame-the-victim game through a prompt and thorough investigation. We look for witnesses and clues at the crash scene that the driver was solely or chiefly at fault.
Many bike accidents are caused by car drivers:
- Driving too fast in a residential area
- Encroaching on a bike lane or crosswalk
- Sideswiping or cutting off the cyclist
- Turning left into a bike rider’s path
- Running through a red light or stop sign
- Opening a door without looking
- Pulling out and striking the bike
Maximum Damages for Serious Injuries
Even with a helmet and padded clothing, cyclists suffer severe injuries from the collision with the car and the secondary impact with the pavement. We have represented clients with catastrophic injuries such as head injury, spinal cord injury, broken bones, facial injuries, and other lasting harm. We have also handled wrongful death lawsuits when children or adults died from their bike crash injuries.
We have every serious injury case reviewed by our physician and nurse consultants to gauge how bad the injuries are and what needs the client and family may have in the future. We can bring in other experts to justify our claim for medical care, personal care, lost income, and pain and suffering.