Distracted Driver Accident Lawyers in Kansas City
Serving Kansas & Missouri
No one should be surprised to learn that distracted driving causes many accidents. We have all encountered drivers who are not paying attention. When a driver’s lack of concentration rises to the level of negligence, he or she may be held liable for accidents and injuries that result.
At Dempsey & Kingsland, P.C., our attorneys help clients recover compensation after being injured by distracted drivers. Over the years, we have helped many clients receive awards and settlements that allowed them to rebuild their lives after motor vehicle accidents, including those caused by distracted drivers.
Call our Kansas City distracted driver accident attorneys today at (816) 484-3776 to schedule an initial consultation.
U.S. Distracted Driving Accident Statistics
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- Distracted driving fatalities increased by 9.9% in the United States in 2019 compared to 2018, jumping from 2,858 to 3,142.
- In 2019, distracted driving was a reported factor in 8.5% of all fatal motor vehicle crashes.
- More than 1,000 people are injured daily in accidents in which at least one driver was distracted.
- Distracted drivers, specifically those who are texting while driving, are 23 times more likely to be involved in an accident.
Causes of Distracted Driving Accidents
Drivers face many distractions, and it is their responsibility to operate their vehicles safely despite interference from:
- Watching a GPS
- Tuning the radio or an iPod
- Eating or drinking
- Looking at children and other passengers in the rear seat
Car drivers are not the only source of distracted driving; studies show that over-the-road truckers who text or talk on cell phones are more likely to have accidents. And because they are distracted, they are less likely to take evasive measures or apply the brakes quickly.
Such distractions can easily cause rear-end accidents because drivers are momentarily unaware that traffic ahead of them has stopped. Accidents in construction zones as a result of distracted driving are also common. Drivers in construction areas need to remain alert to frequent changes in the roadway – something that is more difficult when they are distracted by fighting children or a ringing cell phone.
We invite you to speak with our Kansas City distracted driver accident attorneys if you were injured in a car accident. Our personal injury lawyers will learn about your case, discuss your options, and guide you through the legal process.