Mental patients on psychotropic drugs experience many effects from their drugs, one is dry mouth. In this case, the patient was supposed to be continuously monitored but, he was not. Instead, he was allowed access to the pantry where he opened a commercial sized container of peanut butter and while attempting to eat it choked to death. No one was there to watch him or to prevent his agonizing death.
If it can be believed, this was NOT the first patient at this facility that had died while choking on peanut butter. Despite this, the facility did not change its practices.
During litigation, a confidential settlement was reached.